Free Trial

Safari Books Online is a digital library providing on-demand subscription access to thousands of learning resources.


  • Create BookmarkCreate Bookmark
  • Create Note or TagCreate Note or Tag
  • PrintPrint
Share this Page URL
Help

Color > 185: Thou shall not screen a color to less than 7 percent and expect to...

185: Thou shall not screen a color to less than 7 percent and expect to see it on the printed page

Image

Commentary You know what looks dazzling in its subtlety on your computer screen? A 5 percent screen of your spot color. You know what has nary a chance of showing up on the printed page? A 5 percent screen of your spot color. The thing about commercial printing is that there can easily be a variation in how heavy the ink is running. Combined with the gain, or lack thereof, on varying sheets of paper, it is wise to keep a 10 percent variation in the back of your mind. That is a worst-case scenario, but using newsprint or similar sheets can easily see it come to fruition. The reason? Using such a small number of dots, which is what happens when it is such a light shade, gives the printer little leeway. If you really desire such a light color, selecting a Pantone that is that color at 100 percent is the way to go. JF

  • Safari Books Online
  • Create BookmarkCreate Bookmark
  • Create Note or TagCreate Note or Tag
  • PrintPrint